Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Row Your Boat (Intro)

When I was a young lad, I was in the Boy Scouts, and a good Scouting friend of mine, Chris, had a knack for taking commonly known songs and changing all the words to make it more scientific. For instance, "Row, Row, Row, Your Boat" became:
Propel, propel, propel your aquatic craft,
with little effort through the flowing liquid solution,
with happiness, with happiness, with happiness,
existence is but an illusion.

We thought this was hysterical when we were ten. That was when I started paddling. First it was canoes. Troop 135 from Pacific Beach, San Diego, would drive out to the Colorado River towing a trailer loaded with those aluminum canoes. We'd put in up stream, then paddle down river, two to a boat, for two days. We'd camp by the side of the river, and at the end of the trip, we'd have fresh air in our lungs, tanned skin, and great memories to last us a lifetime.

As much as I love canoes, now, it's just about the sea kayaks. I have had two, and I'm loving my Necky Looksha. In this blog, I'll share with you everything I know and love about kayaking. I'll try to get you psyched into kayaking yourself, and tell you how to get started, and everything I think you should know. At the same time, I'd love to hear about your kayaking adventures, cautions, favorite places, and techniques.

No comments: